Supplements are one of the big new “it” categories in beauty, and collagen supplements are one of the most popular. Oral collagen supplements are supposed to be anti-aging, get rid of wrinkles and plump up skin so it looks younger. What’s the science behind them and do they really work?
I made a video on the topic! In it I talk about the way collagen supplements could theoretically work, and then break down the clinical studies on eating and drinking collagen.
The key studies I discuss are:
In vitro prolyl-hydroxyproline and measuring prolyl-hydroxyproline fragments in blood after oral consumption
- H Ohara et al., Collagen-derived dipeptide, proline-hydroxyproline, stimulates cell proliferation and hyaluronic acid synthesis in cultured human dermal fibroblasts, J Dermatol 2010, 37, 330-338. DOI: 10.1111/j.1346-8138.2010.00827.x
- M Borumand & S Sibilla, Daily consumption of the collagen supplement Pure Gold Collagen® reduces visible signs of aging (open access), Clin Interv Aging 2014, 9, 1747-1758. DOI: 10.2147/CIA.S65939
- E Proksch et al., Oral intake of specific bioactive collagen peptides reduces skin wrinkles and increases dermal matrix synthesis, Skin Pharmacol Physiol 2014, 27, 113-119. DOI: 10.1159/000355523
- E Proksch et al., Oral supplementation of specific collagen peptides has beneficial effects on human skin physiology: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study, Skin Pharmacol Physiol 2014, 27, 47-55. DOI: 10.1159/000351376
- J Asserin et al., The effect of oral collagen peptide supplementation on skin moisture and the dermal collagen network: evidence from an ex vivo model and randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trials (open access), J Cosmet Dermatol 2015, 14, 291-301. DOI: 10.1111/jocd.12174
The best studied collagen type that I mentioned in the video (independently studied) is called Verisol – it’s in a whole bunch of supplements on Amazon.
Here’s the video! Let me know what you think, and if you’ve tried collagen supplements before?
This post contains an affiliate link – if you decide to click through and support Lab Muffin financially (at no extra cost to you), thank you! For more information, see Disclosure Policy.