I was recently approached by Wishtrend to do a collaboration box – this is where I get to pick out my favourite products from the extensive range on their online store, and they’re bundled up into a deal at a massive discount with bonus gifts.
This box is called Michelle’s Boost Your Base box (I’m really bad at picking names, as you can probably tell from “Lab Muffin”), and there’s 4 full sized products for $55.50 USD (a 40% discount on their individual prices). It also comes with free international shipping with the code COMEHERE, and 4 bonus sheet masks. It’s available until October 7th.
(Disclaimer: I get a commission on each box sold).
I talk about the products in the box in the video (on YouTube here), or scroll down for the summary:
The concept behind the box
We all have access to lots of products with high concentrations of actives, and which ones you use will (or should) depend on your skin concerns (hyperpigmentation, acne, aging etc.). As I’ve said a few times before, I think in general we all tend to go a bit ham on our skin. A lot of us tend to bounce between using really hardcore actives and the blandest of the bland products to let our poor sensitised skin recover.
So I picked out a bunch of in between products – they’re gentle and soothing, but also have actives in them, so you won’t feel like you’re wasting a night and they should work for a lot of people.
I was originally going to include some stronger active products (Klairs Freshly Juiced Vitamin Drop is awesome, they also stock a lot of Cosrx exfoliants), but I didn’t want to tempt people into adding yet another irritating product their skin didn’t necessarily need into their routine. But I also wanted to include products that were really enjoyable and not boring to use – that way you’re less tempted to smash your skin every night with the strongest products possible, because I know that feeling.
Get the box here: Michelle’s Boost Your Base Box (available until October 7th CST)
Free international shipping (only to countries that Wishtrend ships to): use code COMEHERE
Klairs Soft Airy UV Essence SPF 50+ PA++++
This product has been discontinued.
By Wishtrend Mandelic Acid 5% Skin Prep Water
If you’re a skincare nerd you probably already have a hydroxy acid exfoliant in your routine, but mandelic acid is a bit harder to find (you usually get glycolic or lactic acids). Mandelic acid is a really gentle AHA. Since it’s larger in size, it doesn’t penetrate as deeply into your skin so it’s really good for when your skin is a bit irritated but you still want some exfoliation (note: it’s still a low pH AHA exfoliant, so still proceed with caution!)
- 5% mandelic acid concentration
- pH: around 4
- Also has soothing ingredients: beta-glucan, panthenol, glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root extract, centella asiatica extract
Klairs Midnight Blue Calming Cream
This is a really popular K-beauty product that’s amazing for soothing irritation, like if you’ve gone too hard on actives or if you have chapped skin. Guaiazulene is what gives it its blue colour – it’s a natural component extracted from chamomile oil that calms down skin.
- Other ingredients: centella asiatica extract, humectant moisturisers (glycerin, sodium hyaluronate) and oils (caprylic/capric triglyceride, sorbitan stearate, cetyl alcohol, shea butter, argan oil, jojoba oil)
- Cream texture that’s slightly thicker than a gel but not oily or greasy
- No noticeable scent
- This has no niacinamide! Great news for people who have niacinamide-sensitive skin, or have too much niacinamide in their routine already, since it’s getting really difficult to find calming products that don’t have niacinamide in them these days.
By Wishtrend Quad Active Boosting Essence
This is a really lightweight soothing toner. Usually I’m a bit hesitant with plant extracts because they can be irritating,
but when a product purposely uses soothing, calming plant extracts this isn’t so much of a problem.
Plant extracts are a good way to get a really wide range of antioxidants into a product, so they can keep each other active.
- Contains lots of plant extracts that soothe skin (willow bark, cornflower, magnolia berry, white mulberry bark, lotus)
- Also contains fermented honey and black tea, and propolis (bees make it from tree sap, has antibacterial effects)
- This has humectants, but it isn’t as sticky as your usual humectant toner. It’s just a little thicker than water, and absorbs really quickly into skin without leaving a noticeable layer. You can wear it under sunscreen and slot it into your routine without worrying too much about having too many layers or balling up or interactions.
- This also has no niacinamide!
Bonus: Klairs Sheet masks
Sheet masks are a staple of Korean skincare – they’re great for hydrating and perking up your skin, and can help push actives into your skin.
The Klairs Midnight Blue Calming Sheet Mask is similar in concept to the Calming Cream (cooling, soothing) but with slightly different ingredients.
The Klairs Rich Moist Tencel Sheet Mask is a bit more moisturising, with 5 ceramides, aloe vera, hyaluronic acid, licorice extract, panthenol, allantoin and centella extract.
You can get the Boost Your Base box here – use the code COMEHERE for free international shipping.
I receive a commission from each box sold. For more information, see Disclosure Policy.