Affiliate Disclosure: I receive a small commission for purchases made via affiliate links.
CoverGirl Lash Blast Volume Waterproof in Very Black has been my default mascara of choice for a while. No matter how many high end mascaras I try, I always end up reaching for this funky orange tube. I use Very Black, which is… very black.
– Drugstore, so pretty cheap and widely available (RRP $17.95 in Australia grrr, but about half that in the US)
– Easy application – I was originally apprehensive about the scary-looking rubbery bristles on the wand, but they’re great for separating lashes and ensuring it’s clump-free in only a couple of strokes
– Very Black is definitely very black, and doesn’t go ashy as it dries like some other mascaras.
– Makes lashes look plump and thick, without looking crunchy.
– Holds a curl very well – I’ve had a few mascaras destroy my carefully curled eyelashes before my eyes. This one doesn’t, at all, and it doesn’t even change the shape of the curl. Win!
– Long wear, doesn’t crumble over the day. Also very waterproof – it doesn’t budge!
– Annoying to remove. Regular “gentle” makeup remover doesn’t quite cut it, I’ve had most success with two-phase oil-on-water style removers (Garnier’s one works well), or even extra virgin olive oil. It’s best if you apply to a pad and hold it over your eye for 20 seconds to help it dissolve.
I’ve heard that the non-waterproof version is equally good, without the removal difficulty, but I’m wary of all non-waterproof mascaras due to my terrible allergies and tendency to cry over really lame things (never reading Jonathan Safran Foer on public transport ever again).
This post was sponsored by BlogHer and P&G, which did not affect my opinion. This post also contains affiliate links – if you decide to click through and support Lab Muffin financially (at no extra cost to you), thank you! For more information, see Disclosure Policy.