Sportsgirl has been an essential destination on my clothes shopping trips since I was a teen, but their beauty selection has grown in the past few years from a paltry selection, to a droolworthy range that wouldn’t look out of place at a drugstore. Their SG accessories store is also tantalisingly close to Town Hall station in Sydney’s CBD, so I find myself checking it out quite often while waiting for the next train.
My experience with Sportsgirl beauty has mainly been with the polishes (shiny!) and the body butters (smelly!). But they’ve been releasing some really interesting eye palettes lately. I was very excited to receive the Eye Like It palette in the post recently.
The Eye Like It palette has two personalities – the left side has some lovely daytime neutrals, while the right side goes into sultry evening territory. Since none of these colours have names, I’m going to refer to them by number, from left to right.
Swatches over Etude House primer:
The first 6 shades in the palette are pale, shimmery shades. On my skin they look very similar, but they are very skintone dependent.
1. Shimmery pale champagne, very fine shimmer particles.
2. Shimmery pale salmon, fine shimmer particles with a few bigger flecks.
3. Light tan shimmer. It also has a few bigger flecks.
4. Paler tan that ends up looking like very subtle shimmer on the skin.
5. Light brown pale shimmer.
6. Coppery pale brown – my favourite of the pale shades! Very creamy and even finish.
Being a bit tanned, the second, darker half is more interesting to me.
7. Brown with reddish shimmer. The brown base is a bit disappointingly sheer.
8. Brown with much stronger, richer red shimmer. Probably my favourite shade in the palette – it’s a stunningly deep colour!
9. Pale purple with big whitish flecks. It’s very pretty in the palette, but barely shows up on my skin. One for the pale ladies!
10. Muted cobalt blue with barely-there satiny sheen. Blends very nicely.
11. Standard workhorse black with slight graphitey sheen, a bit on the sheer side.
12. Pretty silvery grey graphite shade.
Here’s an eye look I created using my two favourite shades in this palette, #6 and #8 over a sheer base of Maybelline Bad to the Bronze. The two shades blend together so prettily!
The packaging is cardboard covered in floral satin-finish paper, with a magnetic flip lip and a foam base. It’ll stay quite nice sitting in your makeup area, but I doubt it will hold up to much travel. There’s a small mirror in the lid (large enough to see both eyes easily), and two double-ended sponge applicators.
Overall, this palette is amazing value, if you like your pale shimmery shades! I would prefer swapping some of the samey shades (#7, #3-5) for some darker matte colours. I’m also not a big fan of flecks – they look a bit cheap in my opinion, and tend to fall off my eye after a few minutes anyway. But I can’t really complain – this palette is amazing value at $14.95, even if you can only use a third of the shades!
Sportsgirl’s beauty section is definitely worth a browse for Australian makeup addicts. As well as their irresistibly pretty eye palettes, they also have some of the more exciting lipsticks (bright purple!) and nail polishes (chunky fluoro glitter!) available these days.
Sportsgirl Eye Like It eye palette is available from Sportsgirl stores and online, retailing for $14.95.
This product was provided for review, which did not affect my opinion. For more information, see Disclosure Policy.