I’ve been wearing ponytails for years, so I have an almost permanent “ponytail bump” when I take my hair out. Lady Jayne’s Style Guards are nifty ponytail holders made of a phone cord-like plastic spiral (“Flexi-Coil technology”), that promises to eliminate the ponytail bump. It didn’t quite get rid of the bump in my hair, but it’s definitely better!
The Style Guards have a bunch of other advantages too:
- They hold your hair in place really, really well, if you loop it around your hair a few times. Especially the clear ones – I can do a dance class and re-tie my hair maybe twice, compared to every few minutes with my usual cotton-covered bands. I found that the clear ones hold my hair in place much better than the black ones.
- They stay on quite well even if loosely tied. After I wash my hair, I like to have something to pull my hair back, without putting my fragile wet hair through the trauma of a proper ponytail. These stay on reasonably well without any loops!
- Style Guards don’t tug on your hair as much as a rubbery hair tie. There’s still a little bit of tugging at first, which is inevitable with a grippy hair tie, but if you wiggle it a bit, it shifts a little and releases your hair.
- They’re completely waterproof and won’t go mouldy.
- The Style Guards are quite chunky (the spiral has a 1 cm diameter) and look a little strange in your hair, especially since they catch on themselves and it’s hard to stretch the coils evenly over your hair (I think it actually works better that way). They’re definitely not special-occasion hair ties.
- The place where the band’s stuck together feels a little flimsy, though I’ve yet to have one break on me, so maybe I’m just paranoid.
- They’re too bulky to sleep on comfortably.
Since I was sent these Style Guards to review, I’ve been using them almost exclusively over my usual hair ties, which is pretty impressive, since it’s been about 10 years since I last changed up my hair ties. They’re a bit pricier than your usual hair ties at about $1 each, but because they’re bigger they’re a bit harder to lose. I’m a convert!
This product was provided for review, which did not affect my opinion. For more information, see Disclosure Policy.