Affiliate Disclosure: I receive a small commission for purchases made via affiliate links.
Quite a few people have asked me about my morning routine – in particular how I arrange everything to minimise sunscreen disturbance. While I’m sure I’d disturb the sunscreen layer a lot less if I just didn’t put anything over it at all, I like wearing make-up, so this is the compromise I’ve come up with.
I’m not a make-up artist so there’s probably a lot that I’m doing in a weird way, but this routine seems to work for me!
Here’s the video – scroll down for a list of the steps and the products I used.
- Cleanse: No cleanser, water only to avoid further dehydration of my dehydration-prone skin.
- Hydrating Toner: I’m currently using La Roche-Posay Serozinc, although I’ll have to switch to something heavier for dry winter weather.
- Sunscreen: Ultraceuticals Ultra UV Protective Daily Moisturiser SPF 30 is my favourite. I apply a bit under 1/4 teaspoon (as I worked out from the face measurements in my previous video), and try not to rub it in too much. I wait 15 minutes before foundation.
- Foundation: A mix depending on what I’m testing. In the video I was trying out L’Oreal Infallible Pro Glow (Creamy Natural), Designer Brands Luminous Hydrating Foundation (Porcelain Ivory) and Nourish London Illuminating Face Shimmer, and I apply it with a damp Ecotools sponge.
- Concealer: It Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye Illumination Concealer (Medium), applied with a finger.
- Powder: Jurlique Rose Silk Finishing Powder with powder brush from Ecotools (often with some extra cornstarch mixed in).
- Blush and Highlighter: Amaretto, Pampelmousse and Champagne Pop from the Becca x Jaclyn Hill Champagne Collection palette, applied with the Real Techniques Multi Task Brush.
- Brows: L’Oreal Brow Artist XPert Mechanical Brow Pencil (Ebony)
- Eyeshadow: Etude House Proof 10 primer, Venus and Pandora from the Garbo and Kelly Overnight Sensation palette, apply with Real Techniques Base Shadow Brush and bdellium Pencil Shaped Blending 780 and bdellium Tapered Blending Eye 785.
- Eyeliner: Girlee Cosmetics black eyeliner pencil
- Setting Spray: Algenist Splash Hydrating Setting Mist
- Lips: Synergie Lip Glo in Tea Rose
I’m planning to do my evening routine at some point in the future – it’s a lot more complicated with a lot more moving parts, so I’ve been putting off talking about it… but I will try to tackle it as best I can!
- DIY Mattifying Face Powder: Just a bag of corn starch
- Video: How Much Sunscreen Do You Need For Your Face?
- Video: All Your Sunscreen and Make-up Questions Answered
- Chemical vs Physical Sunscreens: The Science (with video)
Some products were provided for editorial consideration, which did not affect my opinion. This post also contains affiliate links – if you decide to click through and support Lab Muffin financially (at no extra cost to you), thank you! For more information, see Disclosure Policy.