Affiliate Disclosure: I receive a small commission for purchases made via affiliate links.
Supplements are one of the big new “it” categories in beauty, and collagen supplements are one of the most popular. Oral collagen supplements are supposed to be anti-aging, get rid of wrinkles and plump up skin so it looks younger. What’s the science behind them and do they really work?
I made a video on the topic! In it I talk about the way collagen supplements could theoretically work, and then break down the clinical studies on eating and drinking collagen.
The key studies I discuss are:
In vitro prolyl-hydroxyproline and measuring prolyl-hydroxyproline fragments in blood after oral consumption
- H Ohara et al., Collagen-derived dipeptide, proline-hydroxyproline, stimulates cell proliferation and hyaluronic acid synthesis in cultured human dermal fibroblasts, J Dermatol 2010, 37, 330-338. DOI: 10.1111/j.1346-8138.2010.00827.x
- M Borumand & S Sibilla, Daily consumption of the collagen supplement Pure Gold Collagen® reduces visible signs of aging (open access), Clin Interv Aging 2014, 9, 1747-1758. DOI: 10.2147/CIA.S65939
- E Proksch et al., Oral intake of specific bioactive collagen peptides reduces skin wrinkles and increases dermal matrix synthesis, Skin Pharmacol Physiol 2014, 27, 113-119. DOI: 10.1159/000355523
- E Proksch et al., Oral supplementation of specific collagen peptides has beneficial effects on human skin physiology: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study, Skin Pharmacol Physiol 2014, 27, 47-55. DOI: 10.1159/000351376
- J Asserin et al., The effect of oral collagen peptide supplementation on skin moisture and the dermal collagen network: evidence from an ex vivo model and randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trials (open access), J Cosmet Dermatol 2015, 14, 291-301. DOI: 10.1111/jocd.12174
The best studied collagen type that I mentioned in the video (independently studied) is called Verisol – it’s in a whole bunch of supplements on Amazon.
Here’s the video! Let me know what you think, and if you’ve tried collagen supplements before?
This post contains an affiliate link – if you decide to click through and support Lab Muffin financially (at no extra cost to you), thank you! For more information, see Disclosure Policy.